Friday, July 08, 2016

DN2 Autopsy Report

We received a final autopsy report on DN2. The eaglet died as a result of Methomyl toxicity, although caffeine was also present. An analysis of DN2’s liver ruled out lead and mercury as the cause of death. It did not include information on the sex of the eaglet.

What is Methomyl?
Methomyl is a broad spectrum insecticide introduced in 1966 to kill a variety of insect pests. It is registered for commercial/professional use on sites including field, vegetable, and orchard crops; sod farms; livestock quarters; commercial premises; and refuse containers. It is toxic enough that products containing more than 1% Methomyl are not available for homeowner or non-professional application.

How were DN2 and Mom North poisoned?
While we don’t know for sure, Methomyl is sometimes used off-label to kill wildlife species that become problematic. 1% Methomyl products including Golden Malrin, Lurectron Scatterbait, and Stimukil are placed in sweet solutions, including caffeinated colas, to poison animals like raccoon that some consider pests and can cause damage to buildings and farm animals. Given the presence of both Methomyl and caffeine, it seems likely that Mom North found a Methomyl-poisoned dying or dead mammal and brought it to the nest to eat. It wouldn’t have taken much to kill DN2 or Mom North, since Methomyl is highly toxic.  Based on what we observed, Mom North was able to metabolize and recover from what she ate, but DN2 was not. While it is possible that the poisoning was the unintended consequence of a legal use of Methomyl, the caffeine suggests it was not.

For more about the problems of baiting wildlife with Methomyl, follow this link: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/02/regulators-move-limit-wildlife-deaths-misuse-deadly-fly-killer

Is this legal?
It is not. While Methomyl and many other pesticides and insecticides are legal when used in a manner consistent with labeling, it is illegal to go off-label and use them in a manner for which they are not intended. Fly bait is legal when used according to direction and illegal used in any other way. There may be state and federal penalties for people caught misusing it, depending on state and federal law, and what species are killed.

What are you going to do about it?
We have already reported the incident to the Iowa State DNR and the US Fish and Wildlife Service, and will report it to the EPA and the manufacturer of the most likely culprit, Golden Malrin. We will also use our RRP website, Facebook and Twitter audience to help spread the message about misuse of Methomyl and let people know that they can petition their states to reclassify Methomyl fly baits as restricted products should they choose to do so. We would love to say that this was an isolated incident, but a quick search for “golden malrin raccoon” reveals just how widespread the practice is. Google it and join the discussion!

Do you know who did it?
No. There is a lot of variability in eagle home ranges. While immediate nest defense/core territories tend to occur within 100 square meters or so of the nest, hunting territories vary considerably.  One study documented bald eagle summer home ranges that varied from 3 square miles to 18 square miles depending on age, nesting status, and available resources. But other studies have found even wider ranges in nesting bald eagles, including 37 square miles for a pair in Louisiana. The landowners in the immediate vicinity of the nest have expressed their commitment to conservation.  With bald eagles searching and scavenging for food over a large area, there is no way to know exactly where it cam from. We are not an enforcement agency, but we have reported what we know to enforcement agencies.

We don’t believe that anyone meant DN2 or Mom North any harm. But people need to know that off-label poisoning kills unintended targets and can have serious legal consequences. We don’t believe that anyone meant DN2 or Mom North any harm. But people need to know that off-label poisoning kills unintended targets and can have serious legal consequences. This may also be a good day to check garages, basements, and storage sheds to see what noxious and toxic herbicides, rodenticides, and insecticides are on hand that have tragic consequences for wildlife, pets, and humans. Want something to replace those highly toxic chemicals? Check out the Bio-Integral Resource Center (http://www.birc.org/) and their list of least-toxic pest control products: http://www.birc.org/2012Directory.pdf. Even if you can't go completely toxin-free, you can reduce harmful consequences by using products correctly and choosing the least toxic option. You can help by sharing and spreading the word to prevent the unintentional killings of bald eagles and other animals.

Note that Methomyl is toxic enough that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Methomyl manufacturers have agreed to limit use on certain crops to reduce risks to drinking water: http://bit.ly/29yhNcY. EPA and manufacturers have also reached an agreement to stop making and selling some fly bait products and to add information to the label that clarifies the approved uses. EPA believes that these changes will reduce the illegal use of methomyl fly bait products which can kill wildlife, an issue that was reported to EPA by a number of states.

Are you an academic studying this issue? Please contact us by emailing amy@raptorresource.org.

23 comments:

gail norback said...


thank you for letting us all know what terrible thing it was. Only education among users will alleviate this problem. All need to advocate for better use of pesticides. Thank you, Gail Norback

Joan Milley said...

So very sad... thank you for all you do RRP

Barbara said...

I appreciate all the knowledge gained by observation and.expert comments on this site. Thank you for the useful update on the poisoning of DN2. So sad. But we realize the reality of life.

cwellsla said...

Very good post, Amy, thank you! I've circulated a post and shared RRP's post on FB. If all do what we can to spread the word, we can hopefully prevent more needless wildlife deaths.

Unknown said...

Many trainers at the racetrack used Golden Malrin to control the flies. I had no idea how toxic those yellow nuggets were. If I'd known, I would have been disposing it along with all the boxes of rat bait I "disappeared".

Melinda Dill said...

Do they know if there will be long-term effects for Mom (fertility issues for example)? I know DDT caused problems in the eggs so I was just wondering.

Christine Hayes said...

I have the same comment/question as Melinda Dill. Could it cause mom to have infertility in the future or damage to her eggs?

swamp5050 said...

Thank you for the valuable info, I do not use or approve of chemicals on or near my property or in my home. I have seen a Bald Eagle in my garden so realize they are in my area. I will speak to neighbors again to make them aware of the dangers these chemicals pose, but it has been my experience having had this conversation with people they think as long as they can deal with their problem any damage that occurs as a result is secondary! I watched in real time as the horror of Mom and DN2 unfolded, something I will never forget, I will continue to add my voice to stopping the poisoning of our environment and wild life! I worry based on how this was administered/ingested there will be an ongoing threat not only to Decorah but all Eagles unfortunately!

Christine Hayes said...

Great comments, swamp5050. I do not allow poisons to be used in my yard either and speak out against all toxic chemicals (e.g., Roundup) to anyone who will listen. Unfortunately, most people think only about their short-term problems and do not really care about the damage it does to our environment and other living creatures. We can just keep spreading the information and hope some people may actually listen. Lead ammunition is another problem, and that issue has not been eliminated as yet either. Very frustrating to me.

PookieTheClown said...

This is what it did to the eaglet and the adult female... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2Lu9pMDik

DianneD said...

So sad is right, it's a shame people are still using such a toxic and deadly product on critters that can become food for the eagles and other birds and animals. I am hoping it didn't damage DN mom for futures broods.

swamp5050 said...

In addition to my earlier post: this is not the first time nor will it be the last, whoever this individual is they'll do it again! I hope there will be a serious investigation to find and prosecute this person to the full extent of the law! Also why can we not get these toxic dangerous chemicals off the market and out of the hands of the general public and band their use including commercially. SHM

debobadams said...

Although this does not change this tragedy, I hope the results may help educate people about how they can inadvertently kill protected, and other, wildlife. Thank you for the thorough information/explanation.

Unknown said...

Thank you! I know this means a lot to this community and I wish you express our sincere gratitude for everything you do!

Unknown said...

Thank you! I know this means a lot to this community and I wish you express our sincere gratitude for everything you do!

Carolyn Quamme said...

Thank you for letting us know. I hope people who use such poison will rethink their choice.

Carolyn Quamme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah Kilgore said...

Now that you have the autopsy report on DN2 I hope that the video could be edited into a short 15-20 minute film and presented at farm co op meetings and FFA chapters so that everyone around the state could be informed about the consequences of the illegal use of this poison.

swamp5050 said...

DK, I second that motion, smart idea if they see the consequence of it's use maybe their humanity will kick in and we won't have a repeat!

familypetcare said...

Furbaby pet care is a locally owned and operates in MO, Ballwin, Chesterfield, Manchester, and St. Louis. Our trainers are thoroughly screened and take care of your pets when you are away.

Mutterfly said...

Get the Rent camera in Mumbai in mumbai, using Mutterfly Apps. We carry a wide range of equipment on rent for commercial photographers....

Candace Clifton said...


Wow!! Do you really need a real and powerful love spell caster who can help you bring back your ex Lover urgently? After 21 years of marriage,a very big problem occurred in my Marriage seven months ago, between me and my husband.so terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce. he said that he never wanted to stay with me again,and that he didn't love me anymore.So he packed out of the house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back,after much begging,but all to no avail.and he confirmed it that he has made his decision,and he never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my husband .So i explained every thing to him,so he told me that the only way i can get my husband back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for him too.So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the email address of the spell caster whom he [visited.Unityspelltemple@gmail.com]. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address he gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my husband back the next day. What an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me, and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past 7 months, gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back. So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster. So, i will advice you out there if you have any problem contact Dr.Unity, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you.. Email him at:[ Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ],you can also call or Add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464.

Brooklyn Gray said...

WOW!! This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced. I visited a forum here on the internet on the 17 APRIL 2016, and i saw a marvelous testimony of Tracie Aldana from United States on the forum about the good works DR OSEMU. I never believed it, because have never heard anything about such miracle before. No body would have been able to convince me about it not until DR OSEMU did a marvelous work for me that restored my marriage of 4 years by getting back my divorced wife just as i read on the internet. I was truly shocked when my wife knelt down pleading for forgiveness to accept her back. I am really short of words to use to show my appreciation to DR OSEMU. For his a God sent to me and my entire family for divine restoration of marriage. Here is his email if you need any kind of help. ( Doctorokpamenspelltemple@hotmail.com ), Website: www. doctorokpamenpowerfulspelltemple.webs.com, call and whats App him on +2348135254384.